About Dr. Kaufmann
Dr. Kaufmann attended the University of Manitoba, obtaining his license to practice Dentistry (D.M.D.) in 1980. He practiced in Winnipeg's north end as a General Dentist from 1980-84. Upon acceptance into the Postgraduate Endodontic program of Boston University's Henry M. Goldman School of Graduate Dentistry, he completed two years of study under the originator of the Warm Gutta Percha Technique Dr. Herbert Schilder.
Dr. Kaufmann's postgraduate credentials:
- Certificate of Advanced Graduate Study (C.A.G.S.) Boston U. 1986
- Master of Science Degree in Endodontics (MSc D) Boston U. 1986
Dr. Kaufmann's Masters thesis focused on the effects of cleaning and shaping techniques on final canal shape. The investigation specifically studied the reaming technique (The Envelope of Motion) that is a main component of the BU technique as taught by Schilder. It is also interesting to note how modern Endodontics has adopted this "rotary" method with the use of Ni-Ti rotary instrumentation.
Upon his return to Winnipeg in the summer of 1986, Dr. Kaufmann established a solo specialty practice with an emphasis on patient accessibility, emergency treatment and incorporation of newer digital techniques. His staff includes three registered Phase II assistants and two other support personnel.
Dr. Kaufmann has served as Endodontic clinical demonstrator at the University of Manitoba and is currently providing didactic instruction for the 3rd Year classes. He is active in several on-line dental forums. His favorite lecture topics are: Endodontic diagnosis , Incorporation of digital technology into dental practice, Nonsurgical Endodontic treatment and Practical Considerations/Controversies in Endodontics. Most recently he has concentrated on creating online surveys the examine the attitudes and changes occurring in the specialty as a result of new technologies . With the adoption of TDO software for his office, the goal of incorporation of (paperless) digital technology into his Endodontic practice is now complete.
Dr. Kaufmann's memberships:
- Canadian Academy of Endodontics - Member
- American Association of Endodontists - Member
- Canadian Dental Association - Member
- Manitoba Dental Association - Member
- Winnipeg Dental Society - Member
- Alpha Omega Dental Fraternity - Past President and Past Regent
- Boston University Endodontic Alumni Association - Member
- Academy of Microscope Enhanced Dentistry - Member
- TDO User Group
- ROOTs - an Online Endodontic Forum