Endodontics – Conventional Treatment
After Your Root Canal Treatment
Your Endodontic treatment has just been completed. In order for the best possible results to be achieved, we ask that you follow these instructions:
- Avoid chewing in the treated area for the next 48-72 hours.
- Use Anti-inflammatory medications (Motrin or Advil every 4-6 hrs) as necessary. ( Patients who cannot take Ibuprofen based medications should use Tylenol.
Do not place heat on the area.
- Call Dr. Kaufmann immediately at 783-2971(24 hrs) if you have swelling or discomfort not managed with these over the counter medications.
If further immediate reconstructive treatment is recommended, Dr. Kaufmann may have his staff call your dentist and arrange for the appointment while you are still in our office. Otherwise, wait for your Dentist to call and schedule you. You can be assured that he will have all the necessary information within 48 hours of treatment ( and if he is online, it will be available that day.) . Dr. Kaufmann will tell you if a crown or filling is recommended. Reconstruction of the tooth is your dentist's responsibility and you should discuss the particulars with him/her.
Delay in reconstruction of the tooth can result in contamination of the root canal filling or outright fracture and loss of the tooth. This can happen in as little as a few weeks. Do not wait. Dr. Kaufmann cannot be responsible in cases where excessive delay in reconstruction has occurred.
Remember that removal of the pulp of the tooth will prevent sensitivity to hot, cold and decay. This does NOT protect the tooth against further cavities.
The long term prognosis for the entire case depends on three factors:
(1) The quality of the post endodontic restoration - your Dentist's responsibility
(2) Your ability to adequately clean and maintain the restoration- your responsibility
(3) Regular check ups and recalls to assess the area. - You, your Dentist and Dr. Kaufmann
Free Recall Appointments
Patients are generally placed on a 6 or 12 month recall schedule. These short check up appointments are VERY important. They allow Dr. Kaufmann to assess healing of the area and ensure that the tooth is properly restored. Dr. Kaufmann’s staff will attempt to schedule these appointments at the time your treatment has been completed.. There is no charge for these recall appointments. With proper care, Endodontic treatment can last a lifetime. Reconstructive treatment is never permanent. Like any prosthesis, crowns, bridges and fillings may have to be changed occasionally. Speak with your dentist about the best way to reconstruct your tooth.